Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Photos from the First Year

She and her husband work a farm in the Guatemalan country. When I arrived a stranger in her home she approached with arms open wide, and a smile in her eyes. She wrapped her arms around me, squeezed, and warmly said "God bless you." Then she greeted my friends in the same manner. It was a simple, but profound gesture. I hope I can learn to greet others like that.
Lake Atitlan
With coworker Angel.  We were both Irish for the day.
With Potter's House coworker Estevan. 
Woman from Xela, who had recently lost her son in a firefighting accident.
Potter's House student Brezly, who frequently stops by the office to steal a chocolate. 
Children always need to see how the shot turned out. :)
Youths from Manuel Colom Argueta, where I filmed my last campaign. 
Inside the Guatemala City garbage dump.
Inside the Guatemala City garbage dump.
Vehicle collection inside the Guatemala City garbage dump.
Guatemala City dump.
Guatemala City police.
Kite festival in Sacatepequez. 
Jonathan in the dump.
Mayan boy playing on the ruins.

Mayan boy from Peten, with a grasshopper.
Crowd and judges at the Potter's House talent show.

Playing soccer at Manuel Colom Argueta, where I filmed my last campaign.
Guatemala City
Hanging out with Potter's House staff.
At the top of volcano Pacaya. 
This sums up our relationship.
Catholic processions.
Jonathan at Pacaya Volcano.
Jonathan at work.
Jonathan with his sponsors.
Kite festival in Sacatepequez.
As she stood at the edge of the Chimaltenango garbage dump, a strong gust blew her yagual, which she was using to carry a metal bucket on her head, down into the depths of the dump. But when we spoke, her voice vibrated with contentment. She no longer had to carry the bucket back home.
With her mother.
Chimaltenango garbage dump.
Group from Manuel Colom Argueta, where I filmed my last video. 

"Take my photo, take my photo, take my photo!" 
“How long have you lived here?” I asked. “My whole life.” He responded softly. We stared at the vibrant rolling mountains and enjoyed the silence, feeling no pressure to speak. He let me take his photo as peacefully as he seemed to let anything happen. After I did, he took a seat and listened as the birds sang amidst the calm.
Naked, filthy children are prevalent not because of a lack of clothes but because a lack of care by parents. 
At a home for the elderly.

While filming an interview, I felt a light tap on my leg. Looking down, I saw Nohemí (Naomi), the 4-year-old daughter of the interviewee, with a camera in her hands and a look that said, “I have work to do.” So I set her on my lap and she, despite her disabled wrist, stretched her little finger to the shutter release. She added camera noises for effect.
“How did you learn Spanish?” my friend asked her. “They opened a school nearby last year,” she said. Her grandmother, who spoke a Mayan dialect, stood stoically next to her. When we later walked by the school I felt chills upon regarding its walls, painted with butterflies and kites. For the first time, children in that area would receive an education.
Mayan girl with her grandmother
Mayan boy from Xela, with his mother.
Trying on a traditional Mayan outfit.  I look like a bearded woman in a skirt. 
Eating with my church family after the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment